The History

The Driggers House History

Hagood S. Driggers (Born November 13, 1908) in Pamplico, South Carolina married Nellie McAlister, (Born May 29, 1913) in High Hill, South Carolina. They were married on February 13, 1933, from this marriage 5 children were conceived. Bebee, Hagood Jr. (Shorty), Howard, David (Hammy) and Donnie. Hagood was a barber by trade and employed in Pamplico. He bought the hotel barber shop on Main Street in Lake City in 1938 and they moved to an apartment on Beauregard Street in Lake City. Sometime in 1940 Dr. Nesmith was getting his haircut by Hagood and mentioned the fact that he had a small farm outside of Lake City that he thought about selling. They bought the farm and moved into a small wood frame house that was on the property. It was a pecan grove surrounded by 11 pecan trees with the help of sharecroppers, family and friends the farm was productive. He and Nellie saved and paid the farm off in 1945.

They started construction on this house in 1945. They did a lot of work themselves and finished it in 1948. The foundation is a slab with a measurement of 24×24 inches. Every exterior wall was constructed of 8 inch concrete block and each interior wall was 4 inch concrete partition block covered with plaster. The house originally had 3 chimneys. For the heating hall, for the fireplace in living room and for the kitchen’s initial wood stove. It was wired for electricity, but that was not available beyond Melon Owens about a quarter mile away. Carolina Power refused to run power unless they paid for the poles and wire from the Owens. Hagood checked into Santee Electric and was told if he would get everyone from the High Hill substation to agree, they would provide electric service to the house.

Electricity was established in 1948. Some of the unique properties of the house are the celotex ceilings were scored and V cut with a razor blade by Hagood to look like tile. The home had select red oak flooring in every room. The kitchen originally had 9×9 red and white rubber tile which was purchased from Sears. Vents were installed over each door to carry the heat from the hallway to the other rooms. The lighting originally was fluorescent in each room. In the early 70’s the porch was enclosed and extended for a bedroom, closet and bath.

Over the years paint colors have changes, some walls removed, appliances replaced, friends and family members have died or have their own house. Many hurricanes and storms have take some of the pecan trees, but this ole house has remained virtually unharmed except for normal decay.

Many memories of good friends, relatives and family plus playful times and work are imbedded in these walls. Hopefully, this will continue for years to come.
Best of luck to you Sherri, Hunter and Roy and “Thanks” for all the hard work to update the “Ole” Driggers House.

Howard and BeBee
November 2017